You are here

Nā Waʻa, Nā Moku

OUR WAʻAKoʻa Holomoana Navigational Heiau, Mahukona

Nā Kālai Waʻa has built several canoes since 1991 beginning with Mauloa. We honor Hōkūleʻa as our mother, as she was the first waʻa kaulua (double hulled voyaging canoe) to be built in our modern times. Makaliʻi was our second canoe constructed soon followed by Hōkūliʻiliʻi, Aligano Maisu and Kānehūnāmoku. Nā Kālai Waʻa has also been instrubmental in the construction of several other canoes, which include Iosepa in Laʻie, Hawaiʻi and Pūmaiterangi in Aotearoa.

OUR MOKU

Nā Kālai waʻa owns one property in Hāwī, Kohala and manages several others through lease agreements and partnerships with various organizations. We refer to these wahi pana (significant places) as our moku, our land districts or our terrestrial canoes. These sites include: our Hōʻea Hale, a community resource center in Hāwī, Kohala; Koʻa Holomoana and Māhukona Wharehouse in Māhukona, Kohala; Hālau Kukui, our shared site at Kawaihae Harbor; Hālau Kaʻūpulehu, a star compass and pili grass canoe shed at Kaʻūpulehu, Kona; and our home office in Waimea.

 

For more information on our ʻauwaʻa (fleet of vessels), our moku (land sites) or other canoes associated with Nā Kālai Waʻa, please visit the links in our menu to our left.

Nā Kālai Wa`a Contact Information

address: P.O. Box 748, Kamuela, HI 96743

office: Waimea Office Center, 65-1206 Mamalahoa Hwy, Suite 1-101, Kamuela, HI 96743

phone: 808-885-9500     fax: 808-887-1144     facebook: facebook.com/nakalaiwaa

Copyright (c) 2010 nakalaiwaa.org. All rights reserved.